One thing I’ve noticed in BlackBerry 6 is the improved contact cards. This might have been present in earlier OS builds — I can be dense and not notice things like that — but I really like the layout. When you click into a contact card, you get all of the contact’s relevant information, including recent activity. There are also ways you can make that contact more complete. Again, I’m not sure if this runs on previous OS builds, since I no longer have a device that runs OS 5. But you can link various RIM applications to your contacts list, which makes life that much easier.
There are three applications for which I’ve used this feature extensively: Twitter, Facebook, and BBM. Linking them to contacts makes a more complete contacts card. This way I can not only see even more ways to contact these folks, but I can also see more of our recent activity. The process, as you might imagine, is pretty simple.
I know plenty of people who simply loathe Twitter for BlackBerry. They want a more powerful, comprehensive Twitter experience, and right now the official app just doesn’t deliver it. Even when UberTwitter was banned for that weekend, people found other alternatives rather than going with the official app. While it’s true that Twitter for BlackBerry lacks some features — and Kyle from BlackBerry Cool has some easy ideas to make it better — it’s just fine for simple tweeting and replying. It also integrates with your address book.
To do this, just go to the user’s profile page. Click the menu button and then scroll down to Link to BlackBerry Contact. There you can choose to either select an existing contact, or create a new one. Find it on your list, click the trackball/trackpad, and you’ll go to the contact card. You’ll notice there that under Social Networks, that person’s Twitter account is listed.
This one pretty much takes care of itself. I don’t use Facebook for BlackBerry much, because 1) I don’t use Facebook much, and 2) the app is pretty lacking. But having the linkage there can help. When you first run Facebook for BlackBerry, it automatically links contacts with yours. If, for some reason, it does not, the process is the same as Twitter. Go to your friends list and scroll to the contact you want to link. Hit menu, and then select Connect with BlackBerry Contact. You can do this with a new or existing one, also.
BBM
I’m surprised this isn’t a bit easier of a process, since BBM is so deeply ingrained into the BlackBerry OS. Alas, you still have to manually link your BBM contacts and your regular BlackBerry contacts. Again, it’s easy. Just go to your BBM contacts screen, scroll to the person, hit menu, and select Link with BlackBerry Contact. Same deal as the others.
Other apps?
I haven’t really noticed this feature, so clearly I don’t know where it exists in other apps. Does anyone else use other BlackBerry apps to link to their contacts list?
This post originated at BBGeeks.com - home to all things Blackberry! Also a great source of info about AT&T BlackBerry.
Creating more complete BlackBerry contact cards
This post originated at BBGeeks.com - home to all things Blackberry! Also a great source of info about AT&T BlackBerry.
Creating more complete BlackBerry contact cards
Read More... [Source: BB Geeks - Posted by FreeAutoBlogger]
No comments:
Post a Comment